Home Driveway Run Over Injury
Know where the kids are before getting in the car, there's no going back. Key Safety Messages:
CHECK, SUPERVISE AND SEPARATE.
- Know where the kids are before getting in the car
- Check for children before driving off
- Supervise children around vehicles – always
- Separate play areas from driveways
Every two weeks a child is hospitalised with serious injuries received from a vehicle driving on a private driveway in New Zealand. A further five children are killed annually, on average, in the same way. Most children injured in driveway incidents are toddlers, aged about two years old and when death does not occur, the injuries they receive are often severe. The driver is usually a close family member. The devastating impact of these events upon families cannot be overstated.
Click the links below to access injury resources, information, prevention and advice.
For the One News special report on driveway runovers of Monday 19th of April 2010 please click here. For the TVNZ 'Close Up' story on driveway runovers of Wednesday 4th of November 2009 please click here.
Position Papers, Research, Bibliography and Advocacy Information
- Low Speed Run Over Mortality – Child and Youth Mortality Review Committee, report and media release (Link, September 2011)
- Safekids New Zealand Advocacy Guide: Working with local government to prevent Driveway Run Over Injuries (PDF, June 2011).
- New! Information and Planning Workshop Series, 2012: Interim report (Pdf, 2013)
- New! Safekids CAMPAIGN REPORT 2011/12: Driveway Run Over Injuries (Pdf, 2013)
- Driveway Run Over Kit Outcome evaluation findings (Pdf, 2012)
- Safekids Campaign 2011/ 2012 Final evaluation report, August 2012: Pedestrian safety/ Driveway run over prevention & Safety at home. (August 2012)
- For driveway run over awareness videos at the Mysafekids.org.nz video website click here. (2012)
- To locate a driveway run over awareness kit nearest your area click here and to enquire about Safekids driveway kits, email email@example.com.
- 'Safekids New Zealand driveway run over interactive kit instructions' book (Pdf, 2011).
- Driveway Run Over 'Warning Sign' (JPEG, 2011). For hi-res version, please contact us.
- There's No Going Back A3 Poster (Pdf, 2006)
- There's No Going Back DLE (Pdf, 2006)
- Kâore he hokinga Whakamuri A3 Poster (Pdf. Maori, 2006)
- E le mafai ona e toe fo' i i tua DLE (Pdf, Samoan, 2006)
- `Oku `ikai ha to e foki ki mu'a A3 Poster (Pdf, Tongan, 2006)
For links to New Zealand and international websites relating to this injury topic, go to our links page
and look under 'pedestrians'.
This page was last updated 7 March 2013.